Emilio Izaguirre says he endured a year of sadness before his return to Celtic was confirmed on a one-year contract.
The 32-year-old Honduras left-back spent seven seasons with the Scottish champions before joining Al-Fayha in Saudi Arabia’s top-flight last summer.
“We were crying when we left here,” he told Celtic TV.
“We were sad for one year, but now I have the opportunity to come back and I’m so happy. This is my second home.”
Izaguirre made 252 appearances for Celtic after joining from Motagua in his homeland in 2010 and won six titles with the Glasgow club.
He signed a two-year deal with Al-Fayha and played 27 times for them as they finished eighth in their domestic league last season but was a free agent after agreeing to terminate his contract.
Back at Celtic, he will provide cover for Scotland left-back Kieran Tierney and 20-year-old Calvin Miller.
Ahead of the signing, Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers had said: “When he was here, Emilio was exceptional as a professional.
“When he is asked to play, it doesn’t matter the gap from when he last played, he comes in at a really good level.”
Rodgers also hopes Daniel Arzani’s loan move from Manchester City will be sealed shortly, with the deal “virtually complete” after the Australia winger sealed his transfer from Melbourne City.
Arzani attended Celtic’s Champions League match against AEK Athens on Wednesday and remained in Glasgow on Thursday.
“We hope for that to complete in the next few days,” added Rodgers, who does not expect the winger to be available for selection immediately.
“He is going to have to come in and adjust and get up to speed and adapt – and get some hard work in – before we can consider him for a game.”
Meanwhile, Rodgers “does not anticipate” losing Belgian centre-back Dedryck Boyata.
Celtic rejected an £8m offer from Fulham earlier this week and the English transfer window is now closed.
Rodgers hopes to re-introduce Boyata, who has yet to play since returning from the World Cup, into the team “sooner rather than later”.
source BBC Sports